Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mickelson's arthritis

I just read an article that Pro Golfer Phil Mickelson was recently diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy. We're both left handed AND have the same arthritis condition. Gosh, if only I was a millionaire for playing professional golf!

Based on the article, his diagnosis isn't exactly the same. He has psoriatic spondylitis and my is undifferentiated spondylitis. The only real difference is I don't have psoriasis (that scaly rash that occurs most frequently on the elbows, knees and scalp). But the joint inflammation and spinal concerns are the same.

In the article he talks about being in so much pain that he couldn't get of the couch. That was ME last August! Mickelson is now taking the weekly injections of Enbrel and is feeling great. My doctor has been battling my insurance company for the last 4 weeks trying to get approval for the medication. Apparently Anthem are real sticklers as to what conditions they are willing to pay for. My doctor has a "level 2 appeal" meeting with a panel of medical professionals on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get my approval. I certainly won't be paying $400 a WEEK out of pocket!

Although I don't wish chronic pain on anyone, I have to admit it's nice to know someone out here has heard of this disease. It's also nice to hear success stories of people who are pain free and living an active lifestyle.

If you want to read the article:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38647056/ns/sports-golf/

No comments: